Apr 21, 2011

A Seattle day in Budapest

Hey guys,

First, let me point out that this post is about last week.  Today is still absolutely gorgeous, I'm just really flaky about posting.  Sorry for the anachronism with yesterday's post
Seriously.  The weather right now is beautiful.  Like . . . wow


But, that being said, it's not like there's isn't beauty as well in a gray, drizzling, and (very) windy day.  Maybe it's just the Seattle boy in me, but I love it
Last week, Alessandro, Bek and I got to leave the office early.  And by early I really mean "on time", because we left at 5pm when the office staff left.  See, usually we all stay late, but only Attila and Mike have keys to lock up.  Since they both were out of the office that day, us other interns had no choice but to leave at the same time as, you know, normal people

First, we walked across the Chain Bridge.  I will never get tired of walking across that bridge, it's absolutely awesome.  By the way, check out the flags in the pic below.  Yeah, it was windy
Yes, we walked across on the windward side of the bridge.  Because, duh


Bek wanted me to take a picture of him so he could send it to his family, but I posted it here cuz it came out as a really nice shot!


Here's a shot of the Parliament, taken from halfway across the bridge.  Like I said before . . . sun is all well and good, and I love how nice the weather is today, but days like these can be absolutely gorgeous as well

Anyways, we ended up walking quite a ways.  The original intent was to find a cafe somewhere (which we eventually did), but for the most part we just walked because it was weird to be out of the office before 6:30 and we didn't know what to do ;)
We actually ended up all the way at . . . aww crap.  Now I can't remember the name.  It's one of the famous squares . . . crap.  Umm I'll come back and edit this later XD

This is a picture of a monument commemorating the Soviet liberation of Budapest in 1945 (Budapest was one of the longest and bloodiest sieges in the entire war, second only to Stalingrad I believe)
This is one of the very last, if not the last, monument to the Soviets left in the city.  As you can imagine, Budapest's attitude toward Russia is . . . shaky.  On one hand, they saved Budapest from the Germans.  On the other hand, they then proceeded to oppressively rule over the entire region with an iron fist for the next half-century.  So . . . you know.  Win some, lose some

And, in closing.  I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Everything is better with the addition of statues


Noah out

1 Comments:

At April 21, 2011 at 11:01 AM , Blogger Michael Burnap said...

Noah, I agree that there is something about European cities and statues and monuments that is pretty amazing. Thanks for letting me enjoy Budapest vicariously thru your blog.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home