Apr 27, 2011

Random restaurant!

Hey guys,

So, after doing some sightseeing with Alessandro's Italian friends (I got some very cool pictures of the Parliament, which I want to organize first before I post them) I found myself wandering alone.  Just as my stomach started making complaining noises, I turned the corner and saw this:

How could I possibly not want to stop in a restaurant that looked like that?

Bright colors everywhere (the pictures obviously don't capture it), the chairs didn't sit evenly due to the gravel. . . . everything about the place was fun and just a little strange.  Also, I didn't take a picture but right inside the courtyard was a large, fairly full bike rack--apparently a popular destination for people going on a ride around the neighborhood?



Anyways, although I was tempted to get a hamburger (man I haven't had a good burger in seems like months), I ended up ordering a "potato pie".  I expected something like a quiche, but instead got this:
 A thin, flat, crispy on the edges potato pancake topped with sour cream, cheese, and a salad.  At first I couldn't place the texture, and then I realized it was almost identical to a crispy-on-the-outside Korean pancake!  Needless to say, it was delicious
Best of all?  Only 840forint, or less than $5


Wish I lived in that neighborhood, totally the kind of place I'd like to become a regular.  Ahh well
Moral of the story?  Stopping in at funky, slightly sketchy restaurants is always a good decision

Noah out

4 Comments:

At April 29, 2011 at 10:46 PM , Blogger Michael Burnap said...

You have good luck. However, I will point out "stopping at funky, slightly sketchy restaurants is always a good decision" in certain cities. Other cities do exist (I hope you give them a miss) where discretion may be the better part of valour. That said, they do usually beat pretentious outfits.

 
At April 29, 2011 at 11:45 PM , Blogger Riley said...

That's really cool! I love stories like this where you're just wandering aimlessly and something awesome pops up. :)

 
At April 30, 2011 at 8:36 AM , Blogger Irene said...

Looks yummy. But is that an ashtray on the table? What's the policy on smoking in public places?

 
At April 30, 2011 at 10:45 AM , Blogger Noah said...

Hah smoking? This is Central Europe. If a place is frequented by American tourists *maybe* they will have a designated and segregated nonsmoking section. *Maybe*

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home