Jun 4, 2011

Central Market, part 2!

Hi guys,

So, my mom is visiting town, and one of the first places I wanted to take her was the Central Market.  It's been one of my favorite places to visit here in Budapest, and is just a great way to spend a Saturday morning.

Instead of taking the subway straight there, we decided to take the tram to Gellert, which is right across the river from the market hall.  To get there, we walked across the Green Bridge (yes, it probably has another name, but that's what everyone calls it--can you guess why??):



Here's an establishing shot of the market hall, I realize now I didn't include one last time.  It's a gorgeous building (especially the tilework on the roof, don't if you can see that in the picture):

We got a late start, meaning that by the time we got there I was already hungry.  So first thing, headed straight upstairs to the food stands.

While we were tempted by some of the other offerings . . .
. . . there's really no competition for fresh-out-the-oil langos:
(as you can see, I'd already taken a few bites before I went, "oh right, blog, pictures, my bad")


There are so many cool things that you can only find in Hungary.  For instance, you can get tinned foie gras. Like, quality pate.  For cheap.  Tell me that's not awesome:

Also, delicious cookies.  And yes, your eyes do not deceive you, those ones in the middle are smiley-face cookies:

 . . . which are rivaled in ridiculousness only by smiley-faced stuffed pickled peppers.  Yes, you read that correctly:


Oh, by the way, I found the honey!  Maybe only Seattle people understand this, but it's my firm belief that it doesn't count as a market unless there's honey:


Hungarians do like their peppers.  Don't know what they'd do without them:
 (assorted dried paprika as well--definitely bringing some of this back as souvenirs and presents)
Oh, and before some smart guy comments that peppers are a New World crop and thus clearly the Hungarians had to go without at some point . . . I remind you that so are tomatoes and potatoes, and nobody bothers the Italians or the Irish about that :P

Anyways, that was only the start of our long day today, but I think that should be enough for one post.  Thanks for reading!  Later,

Noah out

7 Comments:

At June 4, 2011 at 12:05 PM , Blogger Brita Long said...

I wasn't jealous of you while I lived in France, but now that I'm stateside, the green-eyed monster is alive and well. Smiley faces? Paprika? Honey? It's like you just described heaven.

 
At June 4, 2011 at 1:12 PM , Blogger Noah said...

Easy solution, Brita . . .

 
At June 5, 2011 at 3:38 AM , Blogger Riley said...

Do they call it the Green Bridge because someone named Green built it? :)

 
At June 5, 2011 at 7:32 AM , Blogger Noah said...

*Actually* is was built by someone with the last name Red, but the naming ceremony took place on Opposite Day

 
At June 6, 2011 at 12:57 AM , Anonymous Anna said...

Does the bridge look green to those who are color blind, too? At least those people can still appreciate the smiley faces in all the market food.

 
At June 8, 2011 at 10:37 PM , Blogger Michael Burnap said...

I just want to note that when selecting pepper varieties for our garden this summer, in addition to Jalapenos and Thai bird chilis, I also planted 3 Hungarian Yellow Wax peppers. I plan on pickled peppers over the winter. See if you can determine what special herbs/spices, if any, Hungarians use in their pickled wax peppers.

 
At June 9, 2011 at 12:31 AM , Blogger Noah said...

I'll try. Their pickles aren't notably that sour, I think it's mostly salt-based pickling. My mom may have a better idea, we'll see

Excited to catch the tail end of the summer garden when I come home!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home