Aug 1, 2011

The Math of catching a train

Hey guys,

Thought I'd drop a bit of math here, get it out of my head and safely pinned down on paper where it can't hurt anyone.  Don't worry, this won't take long (the bulk of this post is just exposition, the only math is like two lines), and it's not at all difficult math--but the conclusion is, at least I think, both in-obvious and kinda cool.

So, every morning I go to the bus stop, take the bus to the station, walk across the station and down the escalator, take the subway, and then walk up out of the station and over to the office.  I know the bus schedule by heart now, obviously, so I'm usually out there just a few minutes before the bus gets there, but the subway (and the time of the bus trip) are less predictable so I can't be guaranteed of timing my transfer properly
However, I always make a point of walking fairly quickly from the bus stop to the subway station, and I always walk down the escalator instead of riding it--there's nothing more frustrating than juuuuust missing a train and having to wait for the next one (even though during my morning commute there's another one coming along in like 3 minutes).  But, the question is, how much time am I actually saving?

Ok here's the math part, I promise it will be quick:

Assume that by hurrying from bus stop to train platform, I save x seconds.  Now, assume that the train comes every y seconds.  Finally, let's assume that x < y,  i.e. that the time I save by hurrying is less than the time between two trains, since that makes the math easier (I can also demonstrate the general case, but it will take longer and require the introduction of some new variables, so just trust me that it works)

Now, I only save time if a train comes in that x seconds--otherwise, I'll have hurried but there will be no train and I'll simply have to stand at the platform for x more seconds than I would have otherwise.  What is the probability that a train will come in that time?  Well it's just x/y--the time "window" in which I'm looking for a train divided by the amount of time between trains (this is, again, assuming x < y)

The conclusion follows quickly:  Most often, I save no time by hurrying.  However, x/y of the time, I save y seconds by catching a train I would have missed--thus an "expected" time savings of x/y * y = x

In other words, by hurrying and saving 30 seconds between bus and train platform, I can expect to shave exactly 30 seconds off of my total commute--I won't save 30 seconds every day (or, in fact, any day), but 1/6 of the time I will save three minutes, for an average savings of 30 seconds per day
In essence, it's no different from hurrying between the train station and the office!

Kinda cool, huh?

Regardless, I'm still going to hurry from the bus to the train but not from the train to the office.  And why is that?
Well I'm not just an Applied Math major, I'm also a Business major, so I can frame it like this--I gain almost no value from showing up to the office a few seconds early.  However, there is a very strong negative value associated with ambling down to the subway only to get to the platform and realize that I just barely missed a train--if only I'd hurried, I could have caught it.  God that is the most frustrated and annoyed 2 minutes and 35 seconds of my life
Thus, I have no incentive to rush from the station to the office, but strong incentive to rush from the bus to the station, just to avoid looking up at the wall and realizing I missed a train by 25 seconds XD . . . and so, I conclude this post by pointing out that, as cool as Math is, sometimes it alone is not sufficient ;)

Noah out

3 Comments:

At August 1, 2011 at 8:46 PM , Blogger Irene said...

You really do think about these things, don't you. You should publish this.

 
At August 1, 2011 at 9:10 PM , Blogger Michael Burnap said...

So, what about the weather aspects. I can see the additional value of hurrying in winter - it keeps you warm (unless in hurrying, you slip on a patch of ice and thus lose time and deal with the embarrassment and pain of a public pratfall). But on hot summer days - doesn't hurrying raise the body's core temperature to an extent that you now need to spend an additional 5 minutes cooling off? Thus leading to a net loss in productive time as a result of hurrying. I mention this because I am ever so aware of the effects of hurrying in hot summer weather. (it will be 97 F in Birmingham this week)

I guess my point is that you deal with the non-mathematical effect of frustration so maybe you should input the (also non-mathematical) variable effects of weather. Accepting, of course, that in temperate Fall and Spring, your analysis is spot on.

Just saying.....

 
At August 2, 2011 at 3:09 AM , Blogger Noah said...

Hmm, interesting. I did begin to case it out a lot more thoroughly--is there, effectively, a difference between a wait of 90 seconds and a wait of 120? Is there an appreciable amount of frustration realizing that I hurried for nothing? And yes, other factors like exactly how uncomfortable that hurrying makes me will weigh in (especially in the second question I brought up)

But then I realized that was more complicated than I wanted to deal with, and I should just be satisfied with a somewhat elegant mathematical conclusion with a high-level analysis thereof. Sorry! XD

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home