Jul 25, 2011

Sketchy Chinese Market

Hey everybody,

Fun news!  I discovered a super sketchy Chinese market out on the outskirts of Budapest.  Like, tin-roof-shantytown-next-to-the-train-tracks sketchy . . . I understand this is not everyone's cup of tea, but for me it's pretty much the coolest thing ever.  I've been there twice now, once last weekend on a hot summer day.  The second time, on Saturday, it was slightly rainy which was even cooler--got to listen to the rain hitting the tin roofs and had to avoid the streams of water coming through the cracks as I navigated the crowded marketplace . . . could not be any more awesome, in my book

There are no photographs allowed in the marketplace, which should tell you enough about the reputability of their wares!  In addition, all over there were Chinese guys gambling on xianqi (I'da joined in but I don't know how to play), cards (I'da joined in but I didn't quite know the game most of them were playing--although it was a variation on Big 2, except with three players and then four cards dealt into the middle), and mahjong (I'da joined in but I know I would have gotten destroyed--you do not mess with old Chinese dudes playing mahjong, they will take you for all you are worth)

Most of the vendors were speaking Mandarin, although there were a fair amount of Viet and some Thai as well (might have been some others I missed, but Viet and Thai are very distinctive languages!).  A couple stalls were run by Eastern Europeans as well, although not a lot--I think there are other flea market type places with more of an Eastern European presence, this place was pretty solidly Asian

Most of the stalls were selling clothing, shoes or accessories--obviously not the name brands they claimed to be but still seemed like decent quality.  I didn't buy anything, but only because I don't need anything.  Pretty good selection and the prices, obviously, were unbeatable--pretty decent prices to begin with and I found, through my just-for-fun haggling that you could usually get them to drop as much as half price

I did, however, pick up a pair of collapsible batons . . . those will definitely be fun to play with at my martial arts school back in Seattle.  As someone says every time I bring in a new toy, "someone is definitely going to get hurt, huh?" . . . but I mean, come on.  I got the pair for less than $15, would have cost twice or thrice that in the States.  How could I refuse?
By the way, a friend asked if there's any technique to using these, other than "just swinging it around" . . . I passed on this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3RfzAyfsmk&feature=player_detailpage#t=79s
(I deeplinked to the stick vs. stick section, but the whole video is awesome.  Grandmaster Atillo is just phenomenal)

Anyways, as I'm sure you're all wondering (and commending my discipline for not bringing it up until now)--the food!!!

There were a number of the always ubiquitous gyros places, and some looked very good but come on, I'm not gonna have gyros at an Asian market.  The most common type of place seems to be a buffet-style stall where you get a bowl of rice and then just point at things in glass trays.  I made a point of going early as I could in the day, while everything was still cooked fresh.  Highlights included stewed pork belly, fried shrimp, stir-fried greens, tofu-skin rolls, pork dumplings, chicken with zucchini . . . I could go on and on!  Oh, and by the way, total price for a piled-high plate of food?  800ft, or around $4

However, even cooler than that, in the back I found a pho place!  First chance to have pho since coming to Budapest, and I didn't realize how much I missed it!  In addition to quality pho, they make their own hot sauce and have their own pickled peppers (an arena where both Hungarians and Viet agree--pickled peppers are an absolute necessity) . . . both pretty sure ways to win my heart and stomach over.  So after having my big plate of Chinese food on rice for breakfast, I wandered around for a few hours then had a bowl of pho for lunch!  When I went there last weekend and it was hot, they were also selling fresh mung bean drink over ice which was phenomenal, and then this weekend when it was chilly they had freshly fried sesame balls!  I've been there both times I've visited the market, and I can pretty confidently say that I will be back

So anyways, definitely glad I found this place.  It's a bit of a hassle to get to (8min bus ride to 10min subway ride to 15min tram ride) but absolutely worth it.  And they're even open on Sundays!  I'll be back there practically once I week, I predict

Noah

3 Comments:

At July 25, 2011 at 7:48 AM , Blogger Irene said...

I saw the photos and description online and all I have to say is that you are one brave guy! But sounds fun, wish we'd gone togther.

 
At July 30, 2011 at 10:31 AM , Blogger Michael Burnap said...

So, basically, in Hungary, the Chinese market rule for determining quality is not too far away from either of the US methods for determining a good Chinese restaurant. First rule of thumb - High Quality decor - mediocre food, lots of naugahyde and Formica is a good indicator of good food. And as with the ABC Hygiene ranking - A, B, or C where the C hygiene ranking also denotes the best tasting most authentic.

Your mom is probably correct about being brave but going early when the food is freshly cooked and still piping hot is a good idea. less (theoretical) risk from the Vietnamese place.

Keep up the good gustatory explorations.

 
At July 30, 2011 at 10:41 AM , Blogger Noah said...

Nah, it's really not that bad. Doesn't seem dangerous (not during the day, at least), all I did was make sure to be conscious of my wallet in my pocket, keep my bag zipped up, and try not to overpay for shoddy merchandise XD
It wasn't even that dirty, really--I'm not saying I'd be willing to apply the 10-second rule, but I'm relatively confident eating any food they prepare

Plus, it pays to train my stomach. When the zombie apocalypse comes and we're all scrounging for food and ammunition during the day and barricading ourselves in at night, all you guys that spent your lives coddling your stomachs will be the first to go--leaving more for me!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home