Jul 15, 2011

Budapest Jewish Quarter, part 2

Hey guys,

One of the cool things about the Budapest Jewish quarter is that everything is within easy walking distance.  After the Great Synagogue we went and checked out another synagogue, whose name I don't recall but if I remember to I will come back and stealth edit this later so none of you will know that I forgot the name

Sadly, this synagogue is in a really bad state of repair:
There are even feral cats living there which, while adorable, is probably not a good sign:

But it's a shame, because the temple itself is absolutely magnificent, and would be gorgeous if fully restored.  The main chamber is simply a large octagon with beautiful columns and wallpaper:
 And of course, an amazing dome in the center:

 As a complete side note, this quote really exemplifies what I admire about Judaism.  "The Faith cannot be Independent from the Ethics and from the Ethical Deeds"
Often times, you see the word "mitzvah" translated as "good deed", but that's not a literal translation--it actually simply means "commandment" (the Jews believe that the Ten Commandments are more of "top 10", and there are many, many more).  Think about the implications of that . . . basically, Judaism holds that, in essence, being good and doing good deeds is a summary of what their God commanded of them.  I think that's pretty cool


Also in the Jewish quarter is this very cool statue:



"Whoever saves a life is considered as if he has saved an entire world
(Talmud)
In memory of those who in 1944
under the leadership of the Swiss Consul
Carl Lutz (1895-1975) rescued thousands
from National Social persecution"

I think that's worth a statue, don't you?

Noah out

5 Comments:

At July 17, 2011 at 6:53 PM , Blogger Riley said...

I really like that statue! Good call getting two shots of it - it's really hard to capture something cool in real life like that in a 2-D image.

Also, you forgot to stealth-edit!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 1:04 AM , Blogger Noah said...

Yeah, that statue was really touching. Interestingly, those two photos predate all the other by a couple weeks--I was just walking through the neighborhood and thought it was awesome. I didn't notice the plaque, however, so I didn't know what the statue was about--didn't want to post about the statue until I found out what it was about. Pretty awesome, I think

 
At July 19, 2011 at 11:11 PM , Blogger Irene said...

I'm so glad you posted this, and I'm glad we walked around this area. I'd almost forgotten this part of the day. It was a sad but beautiful synagogue, and the statute and its inscription was so moving.

 
At August 1, 2011 at 9:07 AM , Anonymous bill szoka said...

Catching up on your adventures. Gorgeous pictures--going to print a number of them to show my mom. Bill

 
At August 2, 2011 at 12:44 AM , Blogger Noah said...

Glad you're enjoying them! Ask my mother for her pictures as well, she both has a better camera and is a better photographer ;)

Cheers,

Noah

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home